Public libraries now provide services, resources and technology that didn’t exist when Pomfret Public Library was built! Lending books is still our stock-in-trade, but there is a new emphasis on group learning experiences, creativity, and community events that necessitates meeting room spaces, technology, equipment and furnishings.
The planned addition to Pomfret Public Library includes about 2000 sq. ft of meeting room space for groups of 8 to 60 people. This space will be available for programs and events sponsored by the library and by other community organizations.
Lounge & café: space to relax or have a quiet conversation
Conference Room & Archives: business & board meetings, research the archives of the Pomfret Historical Society
Great Room: meetings, concerts, classes, movies, lectures, poetry, workshops…
Activity Space: a Story Time/group play/Maker Space equipped for art, crafts, games, STEAM
Restrooms: two private, accessible, unisex family restrooms
Art gallery: current and retrospective exhibits of local talent
Patio: extending the Great Room outside to the existing deck, gardens, and walking trail
Rooms available for booking after-hours: meeting space for local organizations, boards and clubs
Technology: all rooms fully equipped with computers, fiber internet, wifi, projection and sound
- The town was awarded a grant from the CT State Library that will cover half of the projected construction costs.
- The addition will be to the south side of the library.
- The new space is designed for group meetings and activities. The existing space will remain much the same, but with improved access to the collections.
- We have a fund raising goal of $500,000.
- We hope to begin construction in early 2023
- details of the building project
- how you can contribute