- 1739: The first public library in eastern Connecticut, “The United English Library for the Propagation of Christian and Useful Knowledge” was housed in the home of Rev. Ebenezer Williams.
- 1882: Pomfret Hall Library was formed as a subscription library with books discarded from the original collection. Membership was $1.
- 1911: The present building was constructed by Mrs. George Bradley in memory of her husband on land donated by Benjamin Grosvenor.
- 1928: The Pomfret subscription library became a public library, supported by town tax revenue.
- 1976: An endowment from the estate of Abilene C. Averill was used to add the children’s room and office.
- 1994: The Aicher Memorial Garden and deck was added in memory of Sarah Aicher.
- 2006: The Friends of Pomfret Public Library was founded for the support of library programs and services.
- 2008: The interior was renovated to accommodate lounge seating, public computers and an updated collection.
This early 20th century library logo was designed by artist Beatrice Stevens.
Our current logo was designed by Rusty Kinnunen of Rusty & Ingrid Creative Company.