RFP for Fund Raising Consultant
Request for Proposals
Pomfret Public Library Capital Campaign Consultant
Town of Pomfret, CT
March 28, 2019
Purpose: The Town of Pomfret seeks proposals from qualified fundraising consultants to develop and execute a capital campaign plan for the expansion of Pomfret Public Library. The overall project is estimated at $900,000, including renovations to the original 1911 building and construction of an additional 3200 square feet. The Library Board of Trustees has set a goal of raising $500,000 from private sources within three years, with the balance of the construction cost to be funded by a CT State Public Library Construction Grant.
Background: The Pomfret Public Library was the first public library in eastern Connecticut. Formed in 1793 as The United English Library for the Propagation of Christian and Useful Knowledge, the library was located inside the home of Rev. Ebenezer Williams. In 1882, the Pomfret Hall Library subscription library was formed with books discarded from the original collection. In 1911 the present building was constructed and in 1928 the subscription library became public, supported by town tax revenue. The children’s room and office were added in 1976, and some interior renovations occurred in 2008. Since the library’s inception, private donations have fueled its ability to expand services to the public.
The present clapboard building has 2136 square feet of public and staff space. Pomfret Public Library is open 32 hours per week, with about 13,000 visitors annually. It houses a physical collection of approximately 20,000 items, and hosts around 200 programs for various ages throughout the year.
In 2017, the library director and the Pomfret Library Board of Trustees conducted a public survey regarding library services and determined that there would be widespread public support for additional space at the library. The library director, staff and trustees evaluated the current facility, developed goals for the project and worked with an architect (Evelyn Cole Smith) to develop a comprehensive solution with conceptual drawings and a cost estimate. A CT State Public Library Construction Grant was applied for and received in November 2018, supplying 50% of the estimated building funds. The library has a three-year window to raise the matching funds.
Consultant’s Role: Pomfret Public Library seeks a consultant to
- Identify and recruit capital campaign leaders and a Fund Raising Committee
- Develop a donor prospect list
- Work with the Fund Raising Committee to prepare marketing materials, set campaign goals, determine giving levels and naming opportunities, and approach potential donors and secure gifts and pledges
- Coach the Fund Raising Committee in ongoing funds management
Requirements of the RFP: Please include
- A description of the firm
- History, experience, track record with similar projects
- Resume of personnel who would be working on the project
- Narrative with
- timeframe for raising the required capital
- your expectations of the Board of Trustees, Library Director and Fund Raising Committee
- Statement of why you are best qualified to carry out the campaign
- Fees and expenses, including other typical campaign expenses (brochures, software, etc.), and payment timetable
- Verification of the liability insurance, including general liability, automobile liability and workers compensation.
Schedule for selecting a consultant:
- Proposal due by 4/22/19 by 5:00 PM. Please send to Pomfret Town Hall, 5 Haven Rd., Pomfret Ctr., CT 06259 or email [email protected]
- Interviews conducted 4/29/19-5/8/19
- Decision to be announced May 15, 2019
- Campaign planning to begin over the summer of 2019
- Fund raising campaign to launch fall of 2019
The Town of Pomfret reserves the right to revise the above schedule.
Further details are available at pomfretlibrary.org. For questions and clarifications contact Laurie Bell, Library Director, Pomfret Public Library, [email protected]